Thursday, February 24, 2011

Shy Boy

Before I had Sam, I always just assumed I would have super outgoing children.  I am fairly outgoing myself and Jon, well he doesn't even know what the word stranger means.  We went to Shoe Carnival a while back and Sam and I went in the direction of the womens' shoes and Jon in the direction of the mens' shoes.  After I looked around for a good 20 minutes, I went to see if Jon had found what he was looking for.  He hadn't even made it to the men's section yet.  He was standing at the cash register talking to some guy that works there.  I don't remember what they were talking about, but it wasn't even shoes!  I have too many of these same stories to count.


The thought that we may have a shy child hadn't even occurred to me.  Enter my little Sammy.  He is my sweet, shy, sensitive little boy.  Say we're out in public somewhere.  Sam will be asking me "what dat? what dat?" about anything and everything or making funny sounds and cracking up at himself, and then a stranger will stop to smile and say hello.  Sam immediately freezes like a deer in headlights, and hides his head in my shoulder.  He totally disses them.  In which case, I always feel awkward and say, "oh, he's just shy," and give the stranger a big smile and walk away.


I don't know if this is normal, but it always makes me feel so bad, like I want to call out after them "Don't take it personally!  He really is so sweet and funny, he just doesn't know you!  If he had a little time to warm up , you would see!  Got a minute to hang out with us at the park down the street?!"  And then they run away from me.


 I wonder if all parents of shy kids feel this way or if it's just me.  All I know is that Sam doesn't have the outgoing personality I expected, but I wouldn't change one tiny little thing about who he is.  Especially since his safe haven is with his mama.


No comments:

Post a Comment