Friday, February 18, 2011

A Proud Idiot

Sometimes I have these moments of clarity as a parent that make me feel proud and like an idiot at the same time.

The other day I was running around picking up the house, back and forth from the living room to the kitchen to the bedrooms, putting things in their places, and Sam was crying for me to pick him up and trying to keep up with me.  I kept saying things like "no whining, not right now, watch out," but none of my words of wisdom seemed to satisfy him.  This went on for a good 10 minutes.  And then I had a light bulb moment.  I picked up a pair of my shoes, handed them to him, and said "can you put these in mommy's closet please?"  His face immediately lit up and he was thrilled to run to my closet with the shoes, and even made sure to line them up evenly on the rack (I have NO idea where my child gets his neat freak tendencies.)  Before I knew it, I had him putting away laundry, putting all his toys in his room, and scrubbing the toilets with an old toothbrush.  It was awesome!  I'm kidding about the toilets, for now anyways.

But really, these sort of moments make me proud that I figured out a solution without causing a tantrum, but also like an idiot because really, why didn't I think of that in the first place?

Cooking dinner has also proved to be much less stressful if I find a way Sam can help.


No comments:

Post a Comment